How to edit styling of toast notifications?

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if there is any way of editing the styling the notifications?

I'm looking to change the box colour and possibly icons.

Also how can I edit the placement of the pop up?
For example in Android the popup will show up just over the button that was clicked,
with this library the toast shows in the bottom right hand side of the screen which
is outside the application window.

Thanks,

Brian V
Coordinator
Feb 6, 2015 at 2:04 PM
Brian -

Thanks for you looking into my control. The styling feature is on my to-do list, I just haven't had the time. However, if you get the trunk code, you can easily change the background of the toast in the "ToastPopup.xaml" file.
            <LinearGradientBrush x:Key="GradientHeaderBackground" EndPoint="0.504,1.5" StartPoint="0.504,0.03">
                <GradientStop Color="#FFFDD5A7" Offset="0"/>
                <GradientStop Color="#FFFCE79F" Offset="0.567"/>
            </LinearGradientBrush>
I'll look at this today, and see if I can't push out a small update that exposes this property.

As far as the placement is concerned, until now, I didn't think about this being used on a an Android device,. Are you wanting the popup to be "inside" of the owning application at the bottom right?
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:45 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, if you could expose some methods for setting the foreground and background colour that would be great.

My application's color scheme is mainly blue so the yellow background is a bit unsuitable on the pop up.I'm sure exposing these properties would help other users too.

Regarding the position, I didn't mean I'm working on an Android application, its WPF. What I was trying to say is there any way to change the position of the pop up?

At the moment the pop up defaults to position bottom right of screen.

Thanks.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Bryan -

I just released a new version that exposes the FontColor, BorderColor and Background properties of the ToastPopUp control. If you install the click once application, you can see those new features in action. I never heard of WPF running on Android LOL.

At this time, the control renders at the bottom right of the screen. There's a bit of logic that I had to write to make this work properly when loading and unloading. I suppose this can be altered, but I don't think I'll get to it anytime soon. However, if you would like to tackle that, I would be happy to add it this control library.

Thanks,

Lawrence
Feb 6, 2015 at 6:09 PM
Hi Lawrence,

Just seen the update and re installed the new package.

Can you show me an example of how I can edit the color properties programatically
as this is how I've declared the toast in my code behind?
            statusTbx.Text = "Commit fail: " + ex.Message;
            new ToastPopUp("Submit Failed!", "Progress data did not submit correctly, please check you network connection",
                NotificationType.Information).Show();

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2015 at 6:47 PM
Bryan - Give this a try. Of course, you'll want to change the colors :)
            new ToastPopUp("Submit Failed!", "Progress data did not submit correctly, please check you network connection", NotificationType.Information)
            {
                Background = new LinearGradientBrush(Color.FromArgb(255, 4, 253, 82), Color.FromArgb(255, 10, 13, 248), 90),
                BorderBrush = new SolidColorBrush(Color.FromRgb(0, 0, 0)),
                FontColor = new SolidColorBrush(Color.FromArgb(255, 255, 255, 255))
            }.Show();
Mar 2, 2015 at 10:47 PM
That worked perfect, any plans to change the styling of the "x" button to WPF style? And background color to solid colour? That would make the pop ups look more in line with the WPF styling in my opinion.
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2015 at 7:35 PM
With the last release, you should be able to create a solid color for the background. I haven't thought about giving the ability to style the "X" button, but I'll add it to the "list". Thanks for your feedback.
Marked as answer by accessguru on 4/23/2015 at 5:37 AM
Jun 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM
Hi.
I've looked at Toast Popup. The idea is great, but implementation...
I'm wondering, why just don't make ability to put any custom content with content templating in notification popup, since you're using a regular WPF window? Let it be some default content out of the box (e.g., info, error, warning), but the custom content is a necessity.
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM
So basically, you just want and "empty" control shell and maintain it's behavior...definitely a good feature to add.

This project stemmed from being very specific to my immediate needs at the time. Since then, I decided to post it up here just as an experiment. I honestly didn't think it would be used. Like any project and knowing what I know now, I would have made some design changes. I also have been kicking around the idea of having a "Notification Manager" that would allow you "scroll" through notifications that you may missed while away from your application. Unfortunately, my priorities shift towards projects that have monetary rewards and I don't always have the time to work on enhancing the project as you had mentioned.

I do appreciate the feedback and will add your suggestion to my "to do" list.